Saturday, June 15, 2013

On the Subject of Towels


I'm writing this post a bit later than I wanted, but at last here it is.  My second public speaking online video; a recitation from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams.

I don't have too much to say about the assignment itself, except that this one was easier than the last one.

So Instead I'm going to talk about the book I'm reciting from.

The Hitchhiker's Guide the Galaxy is one of my favorite books.  I've read it many times and I'm prone to quoting from it on occasion.  If you haven't read it, you should consider doing so, especially if you are a Monty Python fan or enjoy British humor.  The author was British and he included a considerable amount of wit and word play in his books that give them a distinct feel.

Now that being said, a word of caution... Disney purchased the rights from Mr. Adams a while back, and after he had passed away they made a motion picture that was VERY loosely based on the story.  When I say loosely based, I mean they used the title, the names of some of the characters, and that's about it.  They then proceeded to ruin the story in a spectacularly Disney-fied fashion.

If you don't have time for the book, look for the BBC production which was produced in 1981.  Sure the monsters are rubber and the special effects are limited, but the acting is good and they got the story right!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this, and I'll never feel the same about a towel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good speech! I haven't read the book in a couple of years. I'll definitely have to go back and take another look at it!

    ReplyDelete