Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Nerdy and Proud of It

From Wikipedia.Org:

nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities.[1][2][3]Additionally, many nerds are described as being shy, quirky, and unattractive,[4] and may have difficulty participating in, or even following, sports. "Nerd" is a derogatory, stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.

Not too terribly long ago I had a discussion with a friend.  I don't remember many of the details, but at some point I referred to myself as a Nerd.  My friend immediately stated that she didn't think I was a Nerd at all, and that she thinks I'm very cool, pretty, and not socially awkward.  All very nice things, but the truth is that I am a Nerd and darned proud of it too!

In fact I even joined a community of Nerds that call themselves Nerdfighters.  If you want to check them out there is a link over on the right side of my site.  The idea behind Nerdfighting is that we use our super brain powers for good, to make the world a better place.

From Nerdfighters.ning.com
We fight against suck... we fight for awesome. We fight using our brains, our hearts, our calculators and our trombones.
- Hank Green, a founder of modern nerdfighting

So to all my Nerdy friends, keep being yourselves, keep being Nerds, and of course, DFTBA (Don't Forget To Be Awesome).


No comments:

Post a Comment