Saturday, August 3, 2013

The NPR's Top 100 Science-Fiction & Fantasy Books Challenge

Science-Fiction and Fantasy are by far my favorite genres of literature to read, and I used to think that I had read a majority of the best titles available.  Then this fun little list popped up on my Facebook page the other day.  My initial response was "Neat!".  I opened it up, started reading through the titles, clicking off the ones I have read.  When I got to the end I was rather dismayed to discover that I have only read 19* of the titles on the list.

Now I've decided that this list isn't entirely fair, since many of the titles shown are actually trilogies or series of books, and personally I think each individual book title should count.  For instance, Lord of the Rings should count as three books, not just one.  Also they are missing some of my very favorite books and authors,   However, I've decided to make it a personal goal to try and read every book on this list.

Some of the books I own.  There are more in storage and scattered around the house.
I have a friend who is doing something similar, though she is going to read the 1,001 books you supposedly must read before you die.  A daunting task and I admire her ambition.  I would have trouble with that not only because of the amount of time it would take, but also because I would have difficulty forcing myself to read titles that didn't interest me.

*To my friends on Facebook, I initially posted that I had read only 15, but after going through the titles again, I found a few I missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment