Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Some Thoughts on Prolific Writers

Lately I've been thinking a lot about Prolific Writers.  I help quite a bit with shelving at the library and you can't help but notice when one author has a entire shelf or two (or three) of books.  One of my favorite authors, Piers Anthony could perhaps be considered prolific at over 140 works published.  Mr. Anthony has stated more than once in his prologues that he "has never suffered from the dreaded malady known as writer's block".

Many prolific writers of fiction tend to follow a of formula for their stories.  Using Mr. Anthony again, I can tell you the basic story line for each of his Xanth novels is as follows:

The hero(es) who have a dilemma go to the good magician to seek a solution.  After facing and triumphantly defeating the three challenges to gain entry to the good magicians castle, they are told rather abruptly that they must complete a quest.  In the process of completing the quest they solve their own problem and everyone lives happily ever after.  Oh, and don't forget the puns. Lots and lots of puns.

The details change from story to story, and they are light, fun, and engaging reads, but rarely is there a groundbreaking change in the format.

Now I haven't read any of the books from some of the prolific authors that I've been shelving but I suspect that they write in similar manners, following a formula that suits the genre they are writing for; mystery, romance, science-fiction, horror, or fantasy.  I greatly admire these prolific writers, and I am always amazed by how large of a fan base they have, even in this small public library.

Someday I would like to publish a book.  One book would be sufficient I think, though I am not sure what I would write about.  I don't feel like I would be adequate at creating an elaborate realm of fantasy like many of my favorite authors, nor has any wonderful or catastrophic event happened to me personally that would make for a compelling read.

One of my goals with this blog is to improve my writing skills.  I've heard more than once and from more than one source that one of the best methods of improving is to write every day.  It's listed here in 7 Habits of Highly Prolific Writers.  A nice thought but I tend to struggle with item number 5, I'm not sure if anyone wants to read what I'm writing.


1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed this post. I suspect you will not struggle with #5 for long:)

    ReplyDelete