Sunday, May 12, 2013

Short on Money; Long on Time

There is a certain satisfaction in doing things by hand.  Making bread, knitting a scarf, dipping candles, stretching taffy, oh and cutting down trees.  


Yes, I cut down this poor old dead tree with naught but a hand saw.  Would using a chainsaw have been easier and faster? Of course!  But would I be as pleased with myself...maybe.  However I don't own a chainsaw so by hand it is.

In our world of modern conveniences it's easy to think that we just Have to have that nifty gadget that makes the job quick and easy, that we can't possibly achieve satisfying results without it.  I think that a lot of people forget that our ancestors did just fine for many generations with nothing but hand tools and a good work ethic.

I enjoy doing things by hand.  Or more specifically I like knowing that I can do something by hand.  I wouldn't want to do this sort of thing for a living without the use of power tools, but the more things I can do for myself, without needing an expert or expensive special equipment...well it makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment