Tuesday, April 16, 2013

So Many Books, So Little Time

If you've read my profile, then you know that I work in a library.  If you haven't read it, well that's OK, I'm telling you now, I work in a library.  It's a small library by most standards, but I think that they have done an excellent job over the years building a diverse collection that appeals to all different types of readers.

Adult Fiction, Large Print, and Reference Section at my library.
One of my favorite tasks at work is to shelve books.  I come across so many great titles, and I find myself contemplating subjects that I would probably never think of to read about on my own.  For instance, I've recently developed a taste for pop psychology books.

In fact, they replaced cheesy vampire romance novels for my guilty pleasure reading.

One I read not too long ago was Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.  It was a fun book, refuting the common belief that human beings act and respond rationally.  The author cited some good research, and conducted some tests of his own, and he presents his case very eloquently.  However, a month after reading the book, I couldn't tell you more than that.

A few other titles I've read are How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer, Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain, and Bright-Sided: How Positive Thinking is Undermining America by Barbara  Ehrenreich.  Of those three titles I remember even less, except that I enjoyed reading them.

So the problem is that even though I enjoy these books, they don't stick with me.  I can tell you more about the plots of the cheesy vampire romance novels than I can tell you about the subjects and research in these books.  To me that's what qualifies them as a guilty pleasure.

2 comments:

  1. Despite much of what I say and write, I rely on positive thinking. Think I'll look up Ehrenreich's book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly enjoyable. Ms. Ehrenreich has written a couple of other good books as well. One is titled "Nickel and Dimed: On (NOT)Getting by in America" and "Bait and Switch: The (Futile) Pursuit of the American Dream". The author subjects herself the lifestyles she is writing about and it ends up being a very interesting social experiment.

      Delete