Saturday, April 20, 2013

Blood In, Blood Out

You can't see it, but under the bandage a wicked bruise is forming.
A few days ago I went and participated in a local blood drive.  Now I'm not squeamish when it comes to needles, but it ended up taking four tries to find my vein.

I tell everyone who has to draw blood from me that my veins are difficult to find/get to.  For some reason no one ever seems to believe me.  This time the lady said "Oh, everyone says that.  You'll be OK, I'm very picky about veins".

Then she found one and marked it, then she felt again, and it moved so she marked me again.  Then she thought she had it so she inserted the needle...

It didn't go in the vein, and she tried twice more before calling over her supervisor who was finally able to find the vein.  I would like to note here that the people collecting blood at Red Cross blood drives are not nurses, just trained volunteers.  I didn't know that.  I don't want to scare anyone off of donating, but I thought it was interesting.

After that, things went smoothly for awhile.

Once they obtained the pint and the vials for testing, they removed the needle and bandaged me up.  At this point you're supposed to lay still for about 15 minuets or so.  I did, and I drank some juice, I did everything they told me.

It took an hour for the nausea and dizziness to go away.  Though I have to say I never passed out like I did the last time I gave blood.  It took three cranberry juices and a turkey sandwich and I was OK.

At the end they gave me this nice gift bag full of an assortment of small items (some candles, trial sized hair products, etc.)

The moral of this story is; If your blood is difficult to obtain, and you seem to have a hard time during the donation process, you get presents for your troubles.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment