Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Zombies - Warm Bodies - A Brief Book Review

I went and saw The Hobbit on opening night with some friends. The movie was amazing, Peter Jackson did not let us down. However, this isn't about that movie. This is about a preview that played before the movie.
The preview was for a movie titled Warm Bodies. It's about a Zombie who falls in love with a Living Girl. Normally, I can't handle zombies, zombie movies, etc. I think the concept of being a living corpse, and not having cognitive function is what gets to me. The thought of being a vampire doesn’t phase me in the slightest... in fact, bring it on! I'll suck some blood and be eternally young. But zombies... They're just creepy. Still this movie preview intrigued me.
So I did a search for the movie title. I thought perhaps I'll re-watch the trailer and think about going to see it. Like all really good movies, it's based off a book. Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion was published April of 2011. The book is available on Amazon Kindle. I went ahead and purchased it. I'm a bit of a compulsive reader. I have a hard time not reading books once I get my hands on them (digital or otherwise). I read the whole thing in one sitting, and...
It was good. Really good. I generally tend to avoid zombie literature thanks to the nightmares, but I am glad I read this one. I'm actually pretty excited to see the movie now, and as with all book to movie productions, I hope they do a good job.
The basic premise of the story is that zombies are not just mindless flesh eating undead, but that they actually have thoughts, that some of them feel things, though slowly and less sharply than the living. R is one of those, and he wants more from 'life'. I won't write anymore so I don't spoil it, but I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment