Tuesday, May 13, 2014

You Can Sleep When Your Dead


Finally the Spring 2014 semester is over and I get...less than three weeks of a break before Summer 2014 starts.  On the agenda for the eight-week summer semester:  The Novel, Art Appreciation, and American History II from 1877 on.  All of them online which I'm not terribly excited about, but my scholarship expires in August of this year so I had to finish up the nine credits I needed for my second associates degree before then.

In an effort to get a jump on the short, crammed summer semester, I've started reading the books require d for my class The Novel, which I think is going to be an interesting experience.  Instead of using CampusWeb and Blackboard which are sites and forums set up by the college, we will be using Wikispaces as our assignment upload location and Twitter as our chat forum.  I'm interested to see how this goes and if using twitter makes the discussions more conversational since we can only use 140 characters per tweet.  I've started reading the first of the three books required for the class Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon, and apparently there is a movie based on the novel, which I'm hoping to get and watch after I finish the book.  The other two titles are Moo by Jane Smiley, and  Straight Man by Richard Russo.  The theme of all three books is colleges, students, professors, and intrigue.  Not what I would pick for myself, but certainly more interesting and entertaining than many things I've  had to read for school in the past.

Now in addition to my usual shifts at the library and the intense eight-week summer semester, I have also picked up a second temporary part time job for the summer cleaning dorm rooms, because obviously I enjoy having little to no free time.  My mantra for the last five years has been "Oh I'll take it easy after this next semester".  Yeah right.

No comments:

Post a Comment